Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Awards and "Jobs" for Students

One way to help students with positive reinforcement is with rewards. Some teachers use point systems, where every book read, ever question answered, and every participation opportunity is worth a certain amount of points. At the end of the week, month, or whatever amount of time, students can trade their points for things like books, toys, and snacks.
Another reward method is with special tasks or actions as the reward. This includes pieces of paper in a jar from which the student can pick. The paper has actions on it such as: Lead the line to lunch, hand out worksheets, chew gum in class, take shoes off for  a period, and other actions the teacher comes up with. Here are a few I created for a school project:

Sorry about the picture quality, but my normal camera needs batteries!


I did find some of these on Pinterest. The cards can be created by hand, like I did, or made in Word or PowerPoint. I recommend PowerPoint  because it is SO MUCH easier to create fun things like this (also, if you want to make any worksheets, PowerPoint works better than Word). 

Any of these rewards can also be jobs assigned to students. I remember back in 2nd grade having a different job every week. My very first job was Chalkboard Eraser. I didn't get to be Line Leader until the end of the year! 

Here is a really fun resource for classroom tasks/rewards: 

As always, any corrections, modifications, or comments are welcome! Thanks for reading, and have a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10