Monday, October 6, 2014

Math Walls

I recently created a Math wall for a class. I found many interesting ideas. I want to share some ideas for what to put on a Math wall.

Here is the Math wall I created:





What I included in my Math wall:

  •   A number of the day-- this is common on most Math walls. It allows for more information on that number to be placed on the wall. 
  • Number sentences-- this is a place where students can make number sentences for the number of the day
  • Yesterday is/Today is/Tomorrow will be-- this is also common on many math walls. It is part of the calendar part of the math wall. you can choose to put more calendar items on your Math wall; I did not because I didn't have room. 
  • 100s chart-- I have never seen a Math wall that did not have a 100s chart. 
  •  Prime Numbers/ odd & even numbers: I added these because I thought they might be important. There are many activities that involve prime numbers and odd/even numbers. 
  • Clock-- my clock (which I had fun making) has moving hands so that students can demonstrate different times. I used this feature to teach about different time zones. Students demonstrated what time it was in other parts of the world. 
  • piggy bank-- I used my piggy bank to teach about coins. Students can add up coins to get the number of the day. I like this activity because there can be more than one way to get the right answer. 
  • Written number of the day: This is just the number of the day written in word form. 
A Math wall should be interactive. It should have moving parts. You can achieve this with
  • sticky notes
  • Paper clips
  • Laminated sheets
  • velcro
And many other items. Some other ideas for you Math wall include:
  • Interactive calendar
  •  Digital date
  • Fractions for the word of the day
  • Greater than/less than
  • Students can paste sentences up using the word of the day ("I have 18 dolls", "I saw 18 cars", Ms. Kjos has 18 students in her class"). 
  • Birthdays 
For the number of the day, you could add a laminated sheet such as this one (or create your own!)
:


Be creative! Kids love creativity. Something I thought would be cool is to have students brainstorm features to put up on the Math wall. Each week or month could feature a different student's or group's idea.

Sources:
Room Mom's Math Walls

Ideas? Suggestions? What would you like to talk about? Share your ideas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10